Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Why Antigua Family?










All of my children were cared for from the day they were relinquished by a hogar that is located in Antigua, Guatemala. We visited each child once and then traveled a second time to pick up that child. All in all, I have spent over 6 weeks in Antigua. It took me a trip or two, but I fell in love with the city of Antigua. Not only was it the place where my children were placed in my arms forever, but i love the architecture, the culture, the laid back way of life and the wonderful people of Guatemala. It is such a different way of life.








What is amazing about Guatemala is that despite the poverty, the malnutrition, the lack of bare necessities - for the most part, the people of Guatemala are happy. They are truly happy, you can see it in their eyes. The women truly care about their children and they do everything together and go everywhere together. It's such a simple way of life. Live, love, laugh. The kids are laughing - dirty and barefoot on cobblestones, but laughing, joking with their buddies, but those smiles are infectious.








I try to remember my experiences in Antigua every day. Makes a difference in my life to remember that it doesn't or at least shouldn't make a difference in my life what material things I have, or if we can afford to order dinner out again, or wonder how we are going to afford the family vacation I am planning. That doesn't mean that it isn't important to work hard and provide for my kids, both Rich and I do what we can - but, we also have made the effort to remember what comes first in our lives. I have my family, we are all healthy, safe and we have each other. I was complaining yesterday about how small our home was and how we have out grown our home. Rich said to me, "No, our house is perfect, it is filled with our family and it is filled with love, that's all that matters." I obviously still need reminded.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

Hi Michelle,

Pretty pink blog - did you put it in your signature!?

B